BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 30, 2009

Day 60: My Hens Need More Time




Menu:

Greek Salad PE

European Hard Bread (Store)

Coquelets sur Canap'es JC

(Roast Squab Chickens w/ Chicken Liver Canape's and Mushrooms)

Thin Fried Potatoes PE

First of all, this was quite an undertaking. The Cornish Hens recipe is 2 1/2 pages long. There were several choices of the type of bird you could use and I chose the little hens. I've never trussed anything before so that was interesting to tie the hens all up with twine like that. I had to make a wine sauce to go with the hens. As I am making all this I also had to make canap'es with a chopped liver spread on top. I have to say it complimented the hens perfectly. While I was doing the hens, the canap'es and the liver, I also had to fry potatoes. It got intense but I popped in my Zydeco CD from my friend Bambi and I got it all made. I had to add cognac to the liver. I tasted a bit of it for the first time just by itself. It was numbing. Just the one taste...was numbing, like an orajel numbing. If you do try this recipe you may want to add more baking time because mine needed much more than the recommended time in the recipe.

I started the meal out with a small salad and some hard bread because I wasn't sure if this was going to be a fulfilling meal. The recipe said to make only fried potatoes and sauteed mushrooms to go with the hens. I didn't even put pork fat or bacon or much salt and pepper on the potatoes so that they would not to take away from the hens. The meal was really good but I'd never make it nor put myself through that again. I had several saute pans and a casserole dish and the broiler pan in use plus warming plates, and mixing bowls, it made quite a mess. My wonderful husband offered to do the dishes since I wasn't able to keep up with them while cooking.

I've been researching the author that wrote the Julie/Julia book. I'm having a very difficult time believing that she made 524 recipes in 365 days. I'm just saying. Even Julia Child herself recommends that you make only one of her recipes a day because they are so labor intense. Her cookbooks are not for the faint of heart. Now I see why Julia Child wouldn't meet with her. I think Julia knew that Julie was claiming to have accomplished something that was nearly impossible for her situation. I've been cooking for years and struggle with the one recipe a day from her cookbook. How in the world did this girl make 2 at a time or more on any given day in a tiny kitchen? I'm just saying. Hm. I've never seen her blog. Did she take photos of her meals? Hm?

Facts:
Day60 of 100 (I could do 365 days to if I faked it)

Pounds Lost: 5 lbs. (I'm holding steady and ever so hungry)
Pounds Gained: 0 (Right where I started 60 days ago)
The rest is 100%...I'm outta here to go rest, I cooked up a storm today.

0 comments: