BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 12, 2009

Day 48: A Flan In The Pan



Menu:
Ribeyes ME
(Michael grilled them)

Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions in Madeira Sauce JC

Mashed Potatoes PE

Apple Flan JC

This evening Michael wanted to grill since we will be having fewer warm days now that autumn is in full swing. Once the steaks were cooked to medium my husband brought them into me. I had mushrooms and onions going in the saute pan. After they had cooked I set them aside onto a warming platter and kept a little bit of the butter and bacon fat remnants in the pan and then I added some Madeira wine. I cooked it down till it got somewhat thick and then I put the steaks in that and then put the mushrooms and onions back in the pan as well. It gave the steaks a richer flavor. I've made the mushrooms and onions before with other Julia meals and it has become a favorite of mine.

We went easy on the side dishes because I made a flan for dessert. So I just made some mashed potatoes which are always pleasing with just about any meal. Rather than use gravy we put some of the wine sauce on the potatoes.

I am eating my apple flan as I am blogging this to you. I've never had a flan before and I can only describe it as a sweeter type pancake with a Dutch apple pie type filling. I really like it. I served it warm with additional apples on the side and then I poured heavy whipping cream over it. This is very simple to make and would make a great brunch dish.

I am so excited because I finally found lamb. I'm wanting to make moussaka this week and was getting desperate to find lamb. I'm still on the hunt for apple brandy. If anyone happens to see this at a grocery store in my area please let me know.

Facts:
Day 48 of 100 (365 days is a lot of hunting for hard to find ingredients.)

Pounds Lost: 3
Pounds Gained: 2 (but it is from the original 5 I lost when I started this project)
Happiness Level: 50% (I'm going to worry for the next several months so keep Brandon in your prayers.)
Missing My Kids: 100% (Lord, keep my boy and all the troops safe.)
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (This project has been a blessing. It sustains me from worrying about my kids.)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (Michael made great ribeyes and the flan was great too)
Meal Presentation: 100% (I'm a new flan fan!)

0 comments: