BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 44: Broccoli Is Julia's, Wings Are Mine


Menu:
Broccoli Etuv'es a' la Cre'me JC
(Chopped Broccoli Simmered In Cream)

Seasoned Potato Wedges PE

Baked Chicken Wings in Citrus Marinade PE

Chicken Wings are one of my favorite things to eat. Julia didn't really have a wing recipe. I found one online from her later years. But, it was with soy sauce, ginger and sesame oil. I wanted something a little more lively. So I just buttered a cookie sheet, put the wings on it and then tossed some raw onion wedges, fresh garlic, more butter, and then I squeezed a lemon, a lime and an orange over all the wings and then salt and peppered them. I tossed them with my hands really good to coat all the wings. And then I sprinkled some ginger over them. I gently tossed them again. I baked them for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. They turned out very juicy and citrus-eee.

I knew I wanted wings and then potato wedges are another fave of ours. I've made them many times and love cooking them because it takes very little effort and no recipe. The only thing left to make now was a Julia recipe. I went to the grocery store...which I should be deeply commended for remaining patient while a lady let her 3 year old and 1 year old scream throughout the store. People were leaving the store these kids were so loud with their screaming and crying. I just kept breathing in slowly and breathing out slowly as I grabbed my broccoli bunch and tried to steer clear of this inappropriate behavior. Even though I kept trying to dodge this family as I shopped, we just kept ending up in the same aisle. Lucky me, she pushed her cart right behind me in the checkout aisle. The sweet little clerk said I will try to hurry and check you out. I told her not to worry about it. The store even turned off the music because these kids were so loud. The lady being checked out in the next aisle begged the clerk to hurry up so she could get out of there. She looked at me and said Lordy those children need to stop. I just tried to smile at her. I called Michael so he could hear these darling angels over the phone so he wouldn't think I was exaggerating when I told him about the incident. I have never really watched Super Nanny or Nanny 911 but I can see why these type shows have been brought into production.

As I was pushing my cart of goods across the parking lot and breathing a sigh of relief to be away from those sweet little screamers, two tweeners who were waiting in their mom's SUV decided to jump up in their Lexus and pop their heads through the sun roof...moon roof whatever.... and scream at the shoppers as we were walking to our cars. It scared the bejeezers out of me. I got my groceries in the car and as I was leaving with my windows down here came the lady with the two little tykes both still screaming. Forevermore folks, is screaming the new thing with kiddoes these days?

I just had to vent that, I apologize. At any rate I made the creamed broccoli and it was really good. I did put a dab of grated Swiss cheese on top after I got the serving onto the plate. If you do make Julia's creamed broccoli recipe serve it immediately. It cools quickly but you want it to be warm when you serve it because it tastes so much better with a lot of heat to it. Don't be afraid to sprinkle a little extra salt and pepper onto it either. This recipe reminded me plenty of cream of broccoli soup. It was very good.

Facts:
Day 44 of 100 (It was a somewhat stressful day so I better not try 365 days)

Pounds Lost: (NO Scales for me for a while)
Pounds Gained: (Ditto)
Missing My Kids: 100% (I'm blessed to have such good and well mannered kids, I realize this after today, what a blessing my kids truly are.)
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (This meal was a breeze)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (Michael already called dibs on the leftovers for lunch tomorrow...dangit!)
Meal Presentation: 100% (Oh yeow! Uh huh, It looked good didn't it!)

0 comments: