BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 19, 2009

Back In The Kitchen Tomorrow



I just got back from vacation today and will resume cooking tomorrow. Here are a few pics of Brown County, IN. It is a very nice and relaxing place to visit. We had a very nice time with my sister and her husband. They treated us to dinner at the Holy Cow and I would highly recommend that restaurant. The food was excellent.

I did make my own creation while we stayed at the cabin. I made a skillet stove top version of au gratin potatoes. They were really good. I sauteed the onions in butter making sure not to let them get brown as I was cooking them. I set them aside in a serving bowl keeping them warm. I sliced the potatoes to about 1/4 inch thick just enough for 4 people. I sauteed them in butter for 10 minutes uncovered stirring frequently and then covered them for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. I put the potatoes on top of the onions in the serving bowl. I put a few tablespoons of flour and then poured a pint of heavy cream in the same sautee-ing pan I had used for the onions and potatoes removing all but a few tablespoons of the butter first. I poured a wee bit of port wine into the cream and let it get thick. Once it was thick I put the potatoes and onions in the cream and let the heat get through all as I coated the potatoes and onions. I put about a cup of shaved swiss cheese into the pan and let that melt and then seasoned to taste with salt and pepper. A very quick and easy way to make au gratin potatoes.

0 comments: