BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 52: Simply Soup Tonight



Menu:
Supremes de Volaille a l'Ecossaise JC
(Chicken Breasts w/Diced Aromatic Vegetables and Cream)

Dry Toast ME

White Wine

All of this traveling is catching up to me. I am ready to sleep for a week. We have one more trip to take next month and then no more traveling for a while. I kept avoiding the kitchen today knowing that to be in the kitchen meant physical labor and I didn't want any part of that today. I finally got inspired to make a nice big pot of chicken noodle soup. Julia's recipe looked so hearty and filling, I thought I'd give it a try.

Michael and I both enjoyed the soup, with Michael saying he plans to take it for his lunch tomorrow. I used dry vermouth again and I love the flavor it adds to the soup. Most of Julia's recipes will tie you up for most of the day. But, this one was a lot easier than most. I did change it up a bit. As I become more used to her way of cooking I am getting more comfortable with substituting things that I'd prefer to have. For instance, I omitted the tomato pulp and added carrots instead. And then I wasn't too crazy about doing the orange peel so I added pureed butternut squash instead. Since I added the squash I put a pinch of nutmeg in the soup. But other than that the recipe is exactly the same. The squash gave it a little bit of a darker color and a more suitable flavor for the fall season.

Since it is a brisk autumn evening outside, Michael and I are headed out for a walk...probably a short one because I'm really tired. Dixie stayed at a camp for dogs while we were away. And, she is pretty tired from all that puppy playtime. She and I need a vacation from so much vacation.

Facts:
Day 52 of 100 (365 days would be impossible)

Pounds Lost: Well I bought fudge in Brown County so I stayed off of the scales today.
Pounds Gained: I'm sure I gained some, probably more than some.
The rest is 100%
Please keep Brandon in your prayers as he serves his country overseas.

0 comments: