BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 54: Grunging Things Up



Menu:
Thon A La Provencale JC
(Swordfish Steaks w/ Wine, Tomatoes and Herbs)

Quiche A La Tomate, Nicoise JC
(Fresh Tomato Quiche w/ Anchovies and Olives)

Grungy Potatoes ME


I made Michael swordfish for dinner tonight since he requested it last evening. I have made this recipe before but I think I used a different type of fish. It was really good with the swordfish. I was going to do a cheesy "au gratin" type dish but the tomato sounded better with this type of fish. Swordfish and Tilapia are my favorite types of fish due to the fact they are less "fishy" in taste. I do try to make salmon about once a week or so just because it is healthy for us.

The quiche was fairly easy. I got a really nice quiche pan at the Chef's Shoppe. I have about 4 different sizes now but I like this newer one because the sides come up higher. A lot of Julia's quiche and tart recipes would do better in a deeper quiche/tart pan. The tart was very pizza-like. I let Michael eat it about 2/3 of the way before I informed him that it had chopped anchovies in it. He was surprised but liked it. I wouldn't mind to have anchovies on a pizza after having this quiche. It had a way of pulling the flavors together.

There are so many different ways to make potatoes but I am bored with most all of them. So this evening I created a new kind. They are not peeled but well washed and then dried with paper towels. I sliced them sort of thin so they would cook faster. I added butter and olive oil to the pan and started cooking them. I added sauteed onions and added it. Once they were done I made a brown sauce and then put the potatoes back in the pan with the sauce and coated them really well. They were absolutely delicious. They had the flavor of my mom's fried potatoes. But then with the brown sauce it really made them have a different flair to them. Since they weren't too pretty I decided to call them "grungy potatoes".

Facts:
Day 54 of 100 (365 days is a whole year of cooking....nah! I'm not doing it)

Pounds Lost: ?? (I think my scale is messed up or something)
Pounds Gained: (Yeah, they're messed up)
Happiness Level: 100% (Really we got no choice but to be happy, the alternative is worse)
Missing My Kids: 100% (Keep Brandon in your prayers, and all of the troops in your prayers)
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (I spent hours in the kitchen today but it was fun)
Meal Presentation: 80% (I'm always so hungry at meal time that I don't think to make it all pretty)

0 comments: