BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 40: Back In The Kitchen Again




Menu:
Saganaki ME
(Fried Cheese)

Kriti Salad ME

Cotes de Porc Sauce Nenette JC
(Pork Chops w/Mustard, Cream, and Tomato Sauce)

Asparagus sauteed in butter w/vinaigrette and seasonings ME

It is good to be back home from our trip to Dallas and cooking again. I never realized what a joy it is to be doing this project until I left the kitchen for a few days. I even look at restaurant food differently now. Michael and I stopped in Joplin, Missouri on the way home and ate at a Greek restaurant called Mythnos (sp?). It was pretty good but had more of an European flair than just strictly Greek food. We ordered the fried cheese and were disappointed. The cheese was very sharp and it wasn't flamed long enough which kept the center from getting melty and gooey like it should. So when I started thinking about today's dinner I knew I wanted to make fried cheese because that restaurant had me craving the kind we had in Crete. For dinner tonight I made a traditional Crete type salad to go with the saganaki. I did add a bit of spinach leaves but normally on the island of Crete they don't use lettuce or at least they didn't when we were there. Times do change.

I wanted a meat that would go well with the side dishes, since it is always difficult to find lamb in this area I chose pork chops. I tried a new way of making them this time. I used the Julia Child cookbook and I'm glad I did . They were excellent. I seared the meat and then let it gently simmer for quite a while. The chops were looking good but then once the sauce was over it they looked delicious. The recipe involved mixing heavy cream, dry mustard that I grounded myelf with my new mortar and pestle. and tomato paste. After I thickened the sauce I added some herbs. I let the pork chops bask in all that creaminess for a few minutes while we ate our fried cheese. Michael really liked them and said it gave the chops a whole different flavor.

I try to make asparagus as often as possible simply because I love it. So I ditched the standard rice or potatoes that we would normally have with dinner and I made my quick and easy asparagus dish. The meal turned out really good. Now I want to challenge myself with trying to make the mousaka we had at that restaurant. It was out of this world. The mixture of herbs and spices were baked to perfection. The combination of pasta, meat and eggplant was well put together. I was impressed. So I brought a piece home to study it and see how it is made.

Facts:
Day 40 of 100 (365 days sounds overwhelming when so much is going on right now)

Pounds Lost: 2
Pounds Gained: 3 (from that original five I lost remember that five I lost?)
Happiness Level: 100% (I got a husband that is so very good to me)
Missing My Kids: 100% (I did get a bit of a fix though this past weekend and am thankful for every minute I do get to spend with my kids)
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (Felt good to be at the stove again.)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (It was sooooooo goood.)
Meal Presentation: 100% (I thought it looked appetizing)

0 comments: