BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 38: A Fish I Never Met Before


Menu:
Red Snapper JC
Potatoes w/Tomatoes And Herbs JC
(leftovers)
Braised Spinach w/Pork Fat

A couple of days ago I bought some red snapper simply because I had never had it before. I didn't feel comfortable using the Julia trout or swordfish recipe since I wasn't sure what type of flavor red snapper held. I googled it found a fantastic video of Julia with a chef preparing red snapper. I followed that recipe (sort of) and then braised the spinach for something green. I'm a huge swordfish fan and I put red snapper right up there with swordfish. This recipe was a little different from the traditional french ones that I am becoming familiar to making. As I was making this recipe it had more of a french creole feel to it. It was very good. I would definitely make it again.

The potatoes were in the freezer from a previous Julia meal. So this seemed like an opportunity to use them up. I would probably go with a cheesy potato dish or maybe a baked potato next time I make snapper. I didn't care for the selection of herbs in the potato dish for it to be a side to the fish. It took away from the flavor of it. The red snapper shouldn't have competition only things that enhance it. Like I would know...but I'm just saying.

I had a glass of port wine simply because it is my fave. Michael joined me and declared right there at the kitchen table that it is not his fave. Having choices in wine is good. We always keep plenty of choices because everyone has a different palate for wine.

Facts:
Day 38 of 100 (I just got Volume 2 today so I'm inspired all over again. 365 days is a long time)

Pounds Gained: Ew, the doctor weighed me today my scales are off.
Pounds Lost: Ew!
Happiness Level: 100%
Missing My Kids: 100%
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (Snapper is fun to make)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (Snapper isn't real fishy)
Meal Presentation: 100% (Looks enticing don't you think?)

0 comments: