BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day 26: Breakfast For Dinner With Julia







Menu:

Sausage Gravy ME

Biscuits JC

Sliced Tomatoes (from my neighbor)

Hot Lemon Herbal Tea

Biscuits and sausage gravy who doesn't love that! I was in a crunch for time so I had to pick something that wouldn't take me long to make. I saw the biscuits and that made that decision easy. I already had everything so I didn't have to do a grocery store run. I used some of Julia's techniques for the gravy and it made such a difference. I used some bacon grease instead of butter to get the thickening for the gravy going. The biscuits had chives and parsley which also added a nice rich flavor to the dish. If you need to make biscuits this recipe was an easy one and you don't even need a rolling pin. You can pat the dough out in less than 30 seconds. This was definitely an easy meal and I enjoyed making it because it reminded me so much of a meal that my mom would make. We had hot lemon herbal tea. It was decaf for those of you who know I gave up caffeine a few weeks ago. When I surrender, I surrender it all. Except for those few sips of Coke at my sister's house. But that was for good reason.

One of my favorite things about cooking with the Julia Child cookbook is that the ingredients are better for you. I haven't eaten any thing that I can't pronounce. Everything so far has been natural and without MSG's and fake sugars. Just doing that alone has to be better for us. I'm not a health fanatic but being sensitive to additives in foods this has been a blessing. I haven't had to read one label. Pick up a bag of instant potatoes and read the ingredients sometime. You'll see what I mean. When I make Julia's mashed potatotes they are simply potatoes, milk, herbs and of course butter.

Michael and I have a bit of yard work to do this evening and then we still need to get our walk in before we indulge in those two last slices of apple tart just waiting for us in the fridge. I've been heating it and then drizzling heavy whipping cream over it. It is so DELICIOUS that way.

Facts:
Day 26 of 100 (365 ugh! no way)

Pounds Lost: 3 (Still need to lose 18 more)
Pounds Gained: 2 (I initially lost 5 and just can't seem to stay on track, could be the tart)
Happiness Level: 100%
Missing My Kids: 100% (Get to see them soon)
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (I love making biscuits it feels so country)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (Michael inhaled it so it must've been good)
Meal Presentation: 75% (who cares it's gravy, it taste so good)

2 comments:

Mike said...

The biscuits and gravy was sooooo good.

Anonymous said...

We call breakfast for dinner "silly supper" at our house. The kids LOVE it...so does Mike! A little B & G sounds good to me. I think we'll do that one night next week! Thanks and miss you! I enjoy the blog!