BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 30: How About That Halibut



Menu:

Mediterranean Salad ME

Thon A' La Provencale
(Swordfish, Tuna or Halibut w/Wine, Tomatoes and Herbs) JC

Seasoned Broccoli ME

Steamed Rice ME

Today I was really running late and had to pull the menu together about an hour before dinnertime. I already had the halibut thawing but had no clue what to have with it. After I got all my errands ran for the day, I made a quick run to the grocery store and bought quite a bit of fruits and vegetables. I bought more pears so I can make another pear tart too. After trying to use an alternative pan for the tart and quiche, I finally went to the Chef Shoppe in Edwardsville and bought a good quality tart pan that is the standard size that Julia usually calls for in her recipes. I made a point to not let myself feel rushed today even though I was running late. Because you need to be chilled and de-stressed before you can tackle a Mrs. Child recipe.

I started the halibut by marinating it in olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Then got it hot on both sides by sauteing it at a pretty high temperature. I heated my tomato pulp, garlic, flour and parsley and poured it over the halibut. I baked it at 375 degrees for a little bit and then poured dry white wine over it and then baked it at a lower heat for a half hour.

I steamed both the rice and the broccoli and made the salad while that was baking. This was a fairly easy meal to make. I wouldn't call it quick and easy but the effort you have to put into the tomato sauce was well worth it because Michael and I both thought it was the best tomato sauce we have ever had. I'm going to use this recipe the next time I make pasta. It was that good!

We had no bread or dessert tonight because I am not only on a cooking quest but I am also on a quest to lose some weight. I haven't gained any weight since I started cooking Julia style, but I also haven't lost any now either. Michael and I both feel healthier eating more homecooked meals. Like I said before both Julia and her husband lived to be in their 90's so they must've be doing something right. I would like to drop some weight though. Oh, I don't know maybe I'll start working out or something. Hey that's the ticket!

Facts:
Day 30 of 100 (365 days is a lot of cooking, I better stick with 100)

Pounds Lost: 0
Pounds Gained: 0
Happiness Level: 100% (I got a new haircut and color that always makes a girl happy)
Missing My Kids: 100% (It won't be long now and I'll be seeing them)
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (It was fast paced getting everything ready but it didn't take long)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (If you want to try a swordfish, tuna or halibut recipe this it the one)
Meal Presentation: 100% (I actually made it look beautiful and the pic turned out too)

0 comments: