BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Day 29: A Little Bit Of Fancy with A Little Bit Of Simple


Menu:

Crepes Filled with Ham and Swiss cheese JC
Potato Salad JC and ME
Fried Bananas ME

This morning I got up with intentions of serving crepes for breakfast not realizing until after I made the batter that it had to chill for several hours. So, we had a quick breakfast instead. Michael's coffee smelled so good but I resisted and had none. After we ate we decided to head to Alton and enjoy yet another beautiful day. The weather has just been phenomenal for us this summer. As we were perusing my favorite store in a nearby town I was feeling panicky about the crepes. They look so fragile and delicate in pictures and there is nothing fragile and delicate about me. So I knew I was going to have a difficult time making them.

I was so intimidated by the crepes that I took a little rest when we got home so I would be incredibly focused on my cooking. I read the instructions through and was pretty positive that the first crepe would turn out burnt or undercooked much like when making pancakes. I lightly greased the skillet and let it get very, very hot. I drizzled the batter onto the hot skillet and started working the batter around the surface as directed. Let me point out here that I am using enamel clad cast iron cookware that is recommended by Julia Child. It is very heavy. The entire handle gets just as hot as the rest of the skillet. You have to pour the batter with one hand and swirl the skillet with the other. Julia must have had excellent upper body strength. I was determined and focused to make at least one perfect crepe. I was well rested and extremely focused. I even donned my reading glasses for good measure.

My first crepe turned out beautifully! I was stoked and anxious to get the batter in and start swirling the next one. It is a process with constantly removing the skillet from the heat and then flipping the crepe and then returning it to the heat for so many seconds. After I made all the crepes I quickly decided that I would make crepes again one day soon. Because once you get a rhythm going they are actually very easy. Julia back in her day could get two skillets of crepes going at once. I'm not that talented. Plus, the skillets are too heavy to do double duty on something that you have to keep lifting.

Michael jazzed up the potato salad that I made on BLT night. I called off my mother's recipe as he put the ingredients in and folded it altogether. It was much better that way. Michael and I both are very partial to my mom's potato salad. Loyal fans the both of us! I'm not sure why but I decided to fry bananas for dessert. I served them with cinnamon, sugar, whipped cream and then dripped honey over it. What an easy and fun dessert that was! It smelled like a carnival as it was frying. Mmmmm, mmmmm.

Facts:
Day 29 of 100 (365 days I don't think I can handle it)

Pounds Lost: 0 (I had lost five when I started my 100 days.)
Pounds Gained: 0 (I gained that five back already)
Missing My Kids: 100% (It won't be long now and I'll be seeing my kids.)
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (It was fun making crepes. I almost burnt the bananas though.)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (Everything was delicious and I even used up some leftovers)
Meal Presentation: 70% (I still need to work on making my food prettier)

0 comments: