BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Day 36: She Be Jambon



Menu:
Tranches De Jambon A' La Creme
(Sauteed Ham Slices-Fresh Cream Sauce)

Poached Eggs On A Braised Spinach Bed

Baked Sweet Potatoes

Jellied Cranberries

Apple Cinnamon Muffin

I had the rest of the ham that I had bought for ham and beans that I wanted to use. I sliced it up and then browned it. At first I wasn't too thrilled to be eating something creamed again even though these cream sauces are outrageously delicious. I'm a big fan of changing it up all the time. After I read the recipe it called for a few different ingredients than a lot of the sauces I have made. This one had mustard and tomato paste with cognac and port wine. It had a different flavor that went well with the spinach and ham. I was careful not to overcook the ham as I was heating it through. That makes the ham and cream sauce have that melt in your mouth affect if you keep it juicy. The next time you make a big ham and have some leftover try this recipe for something different.

Julia has a technique for poaching eggs that does include an egg poaching type pan. You simply bust the egg and drop the yolk and white into simmering water. I was scared to try that. But then I saw that she does approve of using the poaching pan as well. I got my poaching pan out and went to town poaching my eggs.

The sweet potatoes were done a bit fancy this time. I baked them, spooned all the potato out and then mixed cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and sugar in with it then returned it back to the shell. I baked them again and then when I served it I put whipped topping (I don't like marshmallows, never have) on them and then sprinkled some chopped pecans and some fine grained cinnamon and sugar on top.

The jellied cranberries was out of a can. It was a toss up of whether to have that or make harvard beets. I had so many things going on the stove and still want to try a Julia dessert recipe this evening. So, I opted for just opening a can. The muffins were from a batch I made a few days ago. I'm hoping to have more this evening with the apple dessert I'm going to make. I hope this dessert is not a disaster. Michael and I both feel like dinnertime is more like a feast these days. Loved the meal but Michael insists that Boeuf Bourguignon is his fave.

I just added the apple dessert. I used an old standard apple crisp recipe but added some of Julia's ways and came up with this absolutely delectable dessert. Michael and I poured heavy cream over the warm dessert and then enjoyed it immensely.

Facts:
Day 36 of 100 (365 days is lot of planning and prepping I still haven't honed that skill yet)

Pounds Lost: 2
Pounds gained: 3
Happiness Level: 100%
Missing My Kids: 100% (This cooking is really helping with that though)
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (This meal was fairly easy)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (It's like fine dining every night)
Meal Presentation: 100% (It looks good, doesn't it?)

0 comments: