BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Day 81: The Oval Poached Egg




Menu:
Oeufs Poch'es JC
(Poached Eggs)

Ham Slices PE

Sauteed Mushrooms w/Wine JC

Apple Cinnamon Muffins (Michael Made These From A Krusteaz Box)

My attempt at making aspic didn't happen today. It just seemed too difficult. I'll have to try it another day. There was another recipe that has been intimidating me though, poached eggs. I've made this type of eggs before in a stove top poacher and even a microwave poacher. I thought both were just wonderful. And then, I made poached eggs the Julia way. Michael and I both sat there wide eyed with that first bite in our mouths. It just sort of melted away. We were in awe of a Julia poached egg. I will never again use my poachers. Julia's recipe has you to crack the egg and let the yolk and white fall as close to the water surface as possible. It took me a few tries to get this technique down because I kept thinking I was going to burn my fingers on the boiling water. But after dropping 3 eggs, I finally got the fourth one right on the surface. They boiled for 4 minutes very gently and then I removed them and had to place them in cold water to remove the vinegar that had been added to the boiling water. I have to say every bit of this was worth it. And I really appreciated this way of making poached eggs at cleanup time. The stove top poacher is a bear to clean. The pan with boiling water was a breeze.

I had left over ham in the freezer from ham and bean night a week or so ago. It is nearly impossible to buy a hunk of ham that hasn't been presliced. I did find a hunk but it was huge so I had to chop it up into small hunks. I pulled one of those from the freezer today and we ended up having ham and eggs and sauteed mushroom with a muffin compliments of Michael. This was an easy dinner to make and I'm ecstatic that I pretty much conquered the French poached egg. The one egg with the little wispy things, that's the first one I dropped and I hesitated and it made it a bit messy. But I did get better with each egg.

Facts:
Day 81 of 100 (19 more to go and 365 days isn't even remotely in my future.)

Pounds Lost: No Comment
Pounds Gained: No Comment
The rest is definitely 100% (Even food presentation is 100%)

0 comments: