BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Day 80: Twenty More To Go. Woo Hoo








Menu:
Lobster Souffl'e JC
Asparagus Souffl'e JC
Sauce B'echamel JC
Cucumber and Tomato salad PE
Strawberry/Banana Tart JC

Tonight was a lot of work. For some reason I got the crazy idea that it would be fabulous to make a lobster souffl'e. While it did taste absolutely wonderful and Michael wanted to be sure there was enough for his lunch on Monday, it was a lot of work. I thought it would be wise to add the asparagus souffl'e to the menu because it would go well with the fancy lobster souffl'e. Again, like I have mentioned before Julia recommends making one of her recipes per day. There is a reason for that. Her recipes are laborious and difficult. I think after today I get that!!! I also think I won't be doing two in one day ever again. It takes a lot for me to learn a lesson in life but once I grasp it I got it for life. ONE RECIPE PER DAy...got it.

As if the two souffl'es were not enough, I thought making a Sauce B'echamel would be clever since it is recommended that you serve it with the Asparagus Souffl'e. When you have two Julia recipes going, even the simple B'echamel Sauce (white sauce) is enough to send you over the edge. But it turned out perfectly and was glad I made it because it did go well with the asparagus dish. Yep, Julia highly recommends that you heed her warning and just make one recipe per day. And my dear readers that is for good reason.

I tried to take photos as I went along because I love using those copper molds. After making the asparagus souffl'e in one of the molds, the arched fish mold, I ended up throwing it away. This is the second time I have used it and the food refuses to be flipped from it and put on a warming platter. It is also very difficult to clean and so Michael and I both agreed that it was best to just throw that copper mold away. Before throwing it out, I did manage to get the asparagus souffl'e from it and put in a tart pan and added more shredded swiss cheese to the top and then broiled it just long enough to get the cheese melted and bubbly. It somehow turned out looking like something someone would want to eat.

The lobster souffl'e on the other hand, was a bit more work. Even though I didn't dare try to unmold it, It was a more difficult recipe altogether. I have made a fish souffle before since doing this project. I simply poached the fish and it was ready to be part of the souffl'e. But, the lobster was a lot more effort because I had to crack it out of the shell. And, a bit pricey but worth every penny because it made the souffl'e really really good.

I made the asparagus souffl'e first and kept it on a warmer and then I made the lobster recipe. Since I was getting kind of overwhelmed I thought sliced cucumbers and tomatoes were the perfect sidedish or salad, if you will. It was perfect actually, it kept the meal from getting too heavy and it added color to the meal. Okay, the truth is, it was easier than trying to come up with something that required effort.

Now, for to go eat the rest of that tart I made a few days ago. nyum, nyum, nyum.

Facts:
Day 80 of 100 (365 days, Nope.)

Pounds Lost: I have no idea.
Pounds Gained: Couldn't tell ya.
Happiness Level: 100% (Saw three friends today who are all great ladies and it made my day.)
Missing My Kids: 100% (Going to see my baby girl in a few days and getting a package ready to be sent to Brandon. Love them both and miss them terribly.)
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (I have to say I do enjoy making souffl'es, they're kinda fun.)
Meal Presentation: 50% (I didn't photograph the food on our plates because souffl'e isn't pretty once you scoop it from the mold.)

0 comments: