BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Day 78: Hexagon Tart



Menu:

Prince Albert Beef Stew JC & ME
Tarte Aux Fraises JC
Fresh Strawberry Tart (I added a few bananas)
Cornbread ME
Homemade Lemonade ME

Last night we had Filet De Boeuf Braise Prince Albert. So I took that and the sauce I made to go with it and chopped the beef up and simmered it in the sauce. It made a fancy beef stew. The rice was something that Michael wanted, I can take or leave rice and much prefer potatoes. But rice was a nice change. I jazzed it up just a bit with seasonings and butter. We had some cornbread leftover from another meal otherwise we would not have had bread due to my endeavors to lose some weight. I bought a bag of lemons and went to the grocery store a few days later and picked up another bag forgetting that I had just bought some. I do go through a lot of lemons but I didn't need 30 of them in one week, they tend to brown quickly if they sit for too many days. I grabbed several of them and used my new manual juice squeezer and we had fresh squeezed lemonade. It reminded me a lot of Penn Station's lemonade. I also realize now that fresh is so much better than the frozen concentrate. I never bother with the powdered kind.

I had pastry dough from a few days ago. I kept abandoning the tart recipe. Well, today I rolled out the sugar crust dough and layed it out in my new, new to me hexagon shaped pie pan. I bought that at an antique store in Brown County, Indiana last month. I baked the crust and made a jelly based glaze while it was baking. I brushed the glaze onto the baked crust and then proceeded to make my custard filling. Once the filling was made I poured it into the crust and then layed out the strawberries and bananas on top. I probably over did it with the jelly glaze over the custard and fruit but that syrup cognac sugar sweetened melted jelly is way too good to waste.

We haven't tried the custard filled strawberry tart yet. We are going to let our tummies rest and then kick back and watch Glee and enjoy our tart. That sugar crust makes the whole tart worth eating. I normally don't care to eat the crust of any pie or tart but this sugar cookie type crust is really good. I've mentioned it before and am a huge fan of Julia's sugar crust.

Facts:
Day 78 of 100 (365 days, Nope I'm ready to be done with all this cooking, had I known Julie Powell was a sham I would have never ventured into this project. I do have loads and loads of respect for Julia Child now. I think she was a fabulous lady and a tremendous chef.)

Pounds Lost: I think I may have lost a pound the waist of pants were a tad bit looser today.
Pounds Gained: I have no idea. I don't want to know anymore.
Happiness Level: 100% (No scales=Happiness)
The rest is 100% excpet for food presentation. That beef chopped up like that wasn't too attractive. It tasted good though.

0 comments: