BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 63: The Quest For Quail



Menu:

Roasted Quail w/brown wine sauce
Glazed Sweet Yams w/Pecans
Oyster Dressing
Beets
La Tarte Des Demoiselles Tatin
(Upside-down Apple Tart)

Michael and I won't be able to celebrate Thanksgiving at home this year. Since I love to make the feast for that day, I decided today would be a Thanksgiving Day inspired dinner. Rather than make a huge turkey I opted to make quail since Julia raves about it so much. Michael nor I have ever had quail before. Let me just say it was delicious. I like it better than chicken or turkey. There isn't much to a quail but what it lacks in quantity it clearly makes up for in taste. Highly recommend that you try quail.

The glazed Yams are just a basic recipe but I added some chopped pecans to make it more festive. The yams and the oyster dressing complimented the quail nicely. I LOVE oyster dressing. This is the first time I have ever made it and I got the recipe online. It was very easy to make and the flavor was outstanding. The meal needed some color. I had blanched some cauliflower to make with the meal. But, I changed my mind and decided to go with beets to really give the plate some color. Neither of us had bread because we wanted to give up those calories in exchange for the apple tart.

When making an apple tart or pie for that matter it is really important to get baking apples. The crisper the apple the longer it will take for them to bake and the end product is generally very watery. Now we know. When Julia's recipe states "Golden Delicious" she clearly means just that! Tasted good though. In the future I will use the recommended variety that the recipe calls for. As you can see I still have issues with following instructions while I'm cooking. Michael and I are stuffed so I would say all in all it was a very fulfilling feast. And, if you make quail with the sauce I guarantee you everyone will be smacking there lips while they are eating!

I've read the Julia Child book that inspired the movie. I just got the Julie book today and can't wait to read it.

Facts:
Day 63 of 100 (365 is really not do-able)

Pounds Lost: 5 lbs. (Cause I lost 5 when I started this)
Pounds Gained: 0 lbs. (I seem to be stuck and I'm even exercising...somewhat)
Keep Brandon in your prayers as he serves his country overseas.
I just don't have the energy to do the rest of the usual blog.

0 comments: