BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Day 72: Cooking With Capers



Menu:
Poulet Poele A L'Estragon JC
(Roasted Whole Chicken w/Tarragon)

Sauce Piquante JC
(Brown Sauce w/Pickles and Capers)

Baked Beans ME

The next time you make a whole chicken I highly recommend that you make this sauce to go over it. It was absolutely delicious. Michael just kept eating it. I wanted to keep eating to because I am so hungry. But I want to lose some weight...which of course doesn't seem to want to lose me. The sauce was fairly easy to make especially if you have made any kind of gravy through the years. Basically, the same concept but rather than let it get thick you want it to run somewhat thin and get a clear dark brown. We had never had capers before and I haven't researched it yet to find out exactly what that is. I really can't say much about them one way or the other. I even singled one out on my fork and ate just the caper to see if I was missing something. They are rather innocuous my guess is maybe that is why you don't hear much about them these days.

I kept the meal very simple with baked beans and mashed potatoes. I was going to make muffins or zucchini bread and some lemon curd to go on them. But I am determined to lose weight. So, I'll make the muffins or bread tomorrow when I'm not feeling so adamant about this weight loss thing.

I'm a huge fan of this Sauce Piquante. I'll be making it next time we have company. As far as my research into Julie Powell, the more I read her book the more I say....bring it! I seriously doubt she made a single recipe except for maybe the potato soup. I'd challenge her any day and in her own kitchen. She did not make those recipes!

Facts:
Day 72 of 100 (I'm actually doing the cooking so I'm not doing the 365 days)

Pounds Lost: 5 lbs. (Grrrrrrrr!)
Pounds Gained: 0 lbs. (I'm right where I started from day 1)
I'm happy with life and happy with this meal...100% to all the rest!

0 comments: