BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, November 9, 2009

Day 71: Ribs And Salad And Such



Menu:

Garden Salad w/Fruit

BBQ Ribs ME

Gratin de Pommes de Terre Provencal JC
(Scalloped Potatoes)

Steamed Broccoli ME

Now that I'm more than half way finished with this blog, I'm just now getting organized with it. But the real goal for me will be to see it through to completion. Rarely do I stick with something to the end. Last night before I went to bed I wrote out the menu for the week. That in itself makes it easier come time to grocery shop and cook. This morning I got up and went through my entire blog meals and checked off each recipe in my cookbooks (Vol. I and II). It would have been way smarter to check them as I went along. But I kept thinking I would remember all that I have made as I go along. Don't know why I thought I could remember something like that, I hardly ever do. Just going through and marking off what I have already made will make it easier to pick out fresh recipes. I had a difficult time last night flipping through and trying to remember which recipes I have made and which ones I have not. There is a lot to be said for being organized.

I put some country ribs in the slow cooker and then let them simmer in bbq sauce all day. I wanted to work on my Julia inspired kitchen so I didn't want a lot of my day spent cooking. I've made several potato recipes before but today I made a basic Julia scalloped potato dish. It was very creamy and we both liked it. I think I prefer cooking my potatoes just a tad longer than Julia though. The broccoli was easy. I steamed, buttered, seasoned and then put some parmesan cheese on it just before serving.

For some reason salads seem to be my specialty. I can throw together a salad effortlessly but when it comes to cooking, it takes a lot of effort for me to focus. This was a great salad for fall or actually anytime but with the apples it's nice for fall. I tore up a handful per plate of a green leafy lettuce and lightly sprayed it down with a vinaigrette dressing. Then I chopped up an apple, celery and a boiled egg and put that on the lettuce. I added green olives and just before I served it I sprinkled it with some grated cheddar cheese. This makes the most refreshing salad especially if your barbeque sauce is a spicy. Once you have the salad made you can add pecans or grapes or both!

The last four days I was hardly home and didn't get much if any Julia recipes made. The weather was amazing for November and I just had to be out there in it. Michael and I hiked, and visited a winery. I got out with friends and just had a great time and kept extremely busy and didn't overeat at all. I was sure I lost some pounds this past week. I was nearly positive that I would get up this morning and weigh myself and be real surprised at how much I had lost.

Facts:
Day 71 of 100 (365 days is nearly impossible)

Pounds Lost: 5 lbs. (Yep, 5! I didn't lose one single pound with all that hiking and careful eating.)
Pounds Gained: 0 lbs. (Right where I started and stuck there.)
Happiness Level: 100% (I have to say this cooking project has cured my empty nester blues.)
Missing My Kids: 100% (Please keep our troops in your prayers and know that because of them we can all sleep sound in our beds each night.)
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (Today's meal was easy but most are not.)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (I stop when I am full, maybe I should stop sooner.)
Meal Presentation: 100% (BBQ always looks delicious.)

0 comments: