BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day One: Filling The Void

Menu:
Garden Salad w/Raspberry Vinaigrette (my recipe)
Homemade Honey Oatmeal Bread (Amish made from Goshen Open Air Market)
Potage Parmentier (Potato Soup) JC
Fondue De Poulet A La Creme (Chicken Breasts in a Lemon Cream Sauce w/Asparagus) JC

On a whim I dragged my husband Michael to go see Julie and Julia with me last night. I found the movie to be so inspiring that I am going to attempt to cook away the void left in my heart from my two kids moving out to join the Air Force. And so every day I am going to pick at least two recipes from Julia Child's cookbook and see if I too can cook my way to happiness. Today being my first attempt I made the potato soup and a chicken recipe. AMAZING!!! I've made a few Martha recipes in the past and wasn't all that impressed. She is too beige and blue and blah for me. But I had never thought about Julia. She seemed antiquated so why even open the book, right? Wrong,

Well, this evening while I was cooking the soup Michael kept saying wow that smells so good. Then we had our salad and bread with a glass of wine. As we were waiting for the chicken breasts to finish simmering. We ate the soup and Michael felt it was much better than Bread Co. Then we had the chicken. It melted in our mouths. I don't know what Julia does differently but let me just say with just this one meal and two recipes and I am deeply impressed. I had gotten so bored with cooking that I dreaded going into my kitchen and would just prefer to eat out.

Yesterday I got up with intentions of starting my day today with following this life altering food regimen that included nothing but fish, chicken, preferably raw vegetables and fruit. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be following Julia's cookbook instead. Yeah I think me and Julia are going to get along just fine. I'm pretty sure I will keep my weight down with this new way of eating because Julia keeps one hopping in the kitchen. She lived to be 90 something so she must have been doing something right. Oh, and I do still miss my kids but I can't think about that right now because I am planning the menu for dinner tomorrow.

Facts:
Day 1 of 100 (365 days is too long for me to stick with something)

Pounds Lost: 0
Pounds Gained: 0
Happiness Level: 40%
Missing My Kids: 100%
Cooking Enjoyment: 100%
Eating Enjoyment: 90% (Need to work on ambience food was way too good for that setting)
Meal Presentation: 30%





counter to blogspot

0 comments: