BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 5: My Happiness Is Filling The Void




Menu:

Leftovers JC (But for good reason let me explain)
Garden Salad ME

Today I spent the day shopping for an enameled cast iron dutch oven. I didn't want to spend 60
or more dollars on one so I shopped around until I found a really nice one that was seen elsewhere for too much but I got it for 30 dollars. I love when I do that. I also picked up a garlic press and a new smaller sieve. I punched my hand through mine when I made the peach cardinal. it was 25 years old and had seen better days anyway.
At 4:30 I got home and started making dinner. I thought after all the prep work the whole stew baked for 8 minutes. I was wrong I should have been home at noon to start this dish. Boeuf Bourguignon is not a quick and easy recipe it is a labor of love dish. I just didn't realize it would take about 6 hours to make. That's a lot of loving. And so, tonight we had the rest of the Roti de Porc aux Choux that I made on day 3 and the chilled watermelon and raspberry soup with a fresh garden salad and a beer. It was good but after inhaling the aroma of the beef simmering in the broth, wine and herbs it made us turn our noses up at pork.


I miss my kids tremendously and wish they were still at home most days. But my son found out he made staff sergeant today and my daughter sent me an email reassuring me that her family is doing well. There are days when I don't understand why we spend all these years preparing a protective nest as we raise and get to know our children. We provide for them, care for them and envelope them deep in our hearts just so they can one day spread their wings and fly.
Being an empty nester is an accomplishment of sorts but it broke my heart to see them fly away. As they envelope themselves into their own lives I am finding that I can move on with my life. They will come and visit and they will give us the greatest gift of all...grandchilden. Now that I am convinced that they are fine and have become adults and I can now grab the hand (cookbook) of Julia Child and move on with the next phase of my life. Brandon and Rebecca keep soaring...because we couldn't more proud.


The Beouf Bourguignon will be in the oven until 9:45 tonight. I have saut'eed mushrooms and new potatoes waiting to be added. Michael and I are going to walk to the store to buy some tiny onions that I just became aware belongs in the finished stew as well. I added some photos of the Beef Bourguignon in the prep stages, one of me becoming a french cook. That's the new dutch oven in the other photo.
Facts:
Day 5 of 100 (365 days is still more than I can handle)
Pounds Lost: 4 in total (but I probably put them back on with that box of junior mints)
Pounds Gained: 0
Happiness Level: 100%
Missing My Kids: Alot% (but they are happy so I need to let go)
Cooking Enjoyment: It was 100% when I was chopping the salt pork then I saw it had to bake for hours so it went down to 30%
Eating Enjoyment: I'll get back with you tomorrow on that one
Meal Presentation: ditto
Tomorrow I will take on the daunting task of making Tarte Aux Poires A' La Bjourdaloue (pear and almond tart) since I get the day off from making a JC meal.




0 comments: