BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day 14: Fancy Burger Night





Menu:
Bifteck Hach'e A La Lyonnaise JC
(Hamburgers w/Onions and Herbs)

Sauce au Porto JC
(Brown Port-wine Sauce)

Potato Salad SW (my mom)

Corn On The Cob ME

Baked Beans ME

Michael and I spent the day together out bike riding and then went hunting for a wine making book for Michael and then things for my kitchen. I don't think I've ever mentioned that I am doing a Julia Child kitchen makeover. No, I"m not obsessed with Julia. The change is out of necessity to make my utensils more handy. Sure I could have just placed them in a crock but I want them to be just right there where I can get to them and then always returned to the same spot. I kept thinking all day that I am just making burgers and a sauce how hard can it be with the rest of the menu being things I have made hundreds of times over the years. I spent about 3 hours on this meal. It went from simple burger night to fancy burger night the minute I decided to add the brown wine sauce.

The burgers were easy enough because I made the same kind from a few nights ago and so I didn't have to look at the recipe much, not a problem. I had the potatoes going and corn boiling as the burgers were searing. By the time I was ready for the wine sauce the potato salad needed to be made and the corn needed to be buttered and seasoned. The sauce didn't get thick so I "Googled" it and noticed that often times it isn't thick. I wanted mine thick. I worked on that sauce until it was thick thick. It clung to the burgers just the way it should. If you are reading this and thinking when did she get her beans going? Well I nearly forgot about them. But I got them together and since it was taking me a while to get the sauce thickened I got the beans baked and everything was finished at the same time. I even poured the wine myself. I'm really liking the port wine.

All in all it was a really good meal. Taking the time to make the sauce was worth every minute. Got to go for our walk and then it will be time to kick back, relax and watch a movie and have dessert. We have two choices pecan pie or sugar cookies. Then the rest will go in the freezer so we can savor it another day.

Facts:
Day 14 of 100 (I better not try the 365)

Pounds Lost: 5 (I finally got off of my 4 lb. kick)
Pounds Gained: 0
Happiness Level: 100%
Missing My Kids: 100%
Cooking Enjoyment: 100%
Eating Enjoyment: 100%
Meal Presentation: 100% (I thought it was a fine looking burger)

0 comments: