BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, August 21, 2009

Day 6: Mastering The Tart





Menu:
Rosemary Butter Breadsticks (No soup or salad)
Beouf Bourguignon (Beef Stew)
Tarte Aux Poires A La Bourdaloue (Pear and Almond with a Custard filling Tart)
Homemade Strawberry Lemonade

Since the Beouf Bourguignon was made last night I figured I could lull around the house a bit. I was wrong. I started the tart at 2:00 this afternoon. Again, just like yesterday I should have started earlier. It took until 5:00 and 3 sinks full of dishes to make this pear tart. First I had to get the pears peeled and ready to simmer in the wine sauce. Once that was complete the sugar cookie type tart crust had to be made. Then while the pears were draining I made the custard. What a lot of work. Half way through I thought I wrecked it because it was looking pretty bad. I contemplated just throwing it away because I didn't know what I was doing.

This tart was actually 3 different recipes. I had to keep flipping through the cookbook to make it. But, I put some faith in Julia because she hasn't steered me wrong yet. I stuck with it and I ended up with perfection! The pear tart was AMAZING!!! Michael said it was the best dessert he has ever had in his life. He then followed it with this is the best meal I have ever had. While Michael is a polite and mannerly man he has over the past 25 years of our marriage been conservative with the compliments. Julia Child has changed all that. Michael just can't praise my cooking enough.

By letting the stew sit covered in the fridge all night the juices really soaked into the meat. If you choose to make just one Julia Child recipe let it be her version of beef stew. It is so rich in flavor and will be by far the best beef stew you have ever eaten. The tart on the other hand was more work than the ratatouille. But worth every minute of it. I'm not sure if I will make another custard type dessert but after eating this one this evening I can see where one would crave something like that. And then be very tempted to make it again.

Facts
Day 6 of 100 (that tart should count as two days and 365 is still too much for me to handle)

Pounds Lost: Still 4 lbs.
Pounds Gained: 0
Happiness Level: 100 %
Missing My Kids: 100% (But just dont' have much time to think about it)
Cooking Enjoyment: 90% (I got into the wine while I was making the pear syrup and it made me really enjoy making the tart a whole lot more)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (I finally had to put the quietus on Michael he went back for seconds so much)
Meal Presentation: 50% (Beef stew just keeps looking like beef stew no matter how you put it on the table)

0 comments: