BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day 12: Julia's Burger Recipe





Menu:
Bifteck Hach'e A La Lyonnaise JC
(Ground Beef w/Onions and Herbs)
Baked potato w/toppings sauteed in butter ME
Sugar Cookies JC

Now I understand why back in the 70's my mom had to make it a priority to be home by 3:00 p.m. every day to start making dinner or supper as she called it. No matter what we were out doing for the day she always wanted to be home by 3. Well now I know why. You cannot run in the kitchen at 4:30 and just throw a delicious meal together and be ready to eat it at 5. Our parents from that generation did not rush their meals. Preparing meals was simply part of my mom's day. Well I think I finally get it, plan ahead and prioritize my time.

I'm not much of a shopper these days but for some reason I am on a quest to find the perfect canisters. I've had the same set for 26 years. So once again I shopped my day away. I didn't plan my meal this morning nor did I have everything I needed to make it. So at 4:00 I was rushing around at the grocery store and then that left me rushing in the kitchen to throw dinner together. Julia would have been appalled! I tried to keep it simple by making just the burgers from her cookbook. I then made a baked potato and topped it with butter, sour cream and sea salt and pepper. The burgers were a meal in itself, very juicy. I added an egg, seasonings, and then rolled the patties in flour before searing. They were then served ladened with a hot wine syrup. Michael and I both indulged in some sugar cookies for dessert.

Preparing dinner tonight was a disaster. I thought I could make an old school dinner with new age ease. I was wrong! Julia Child's recipes are a work of art. She has each one down to a fine science. In the future I won't take shortcuts. A portion of my day needs to be set aside for preparing dinner. This is why I feared trying to do 365 days. Getting these 100 days in will be difficult for me because I am not a planner and I have never compartmentalized my time. I'm wondering if Julia's cookbook "Mastering The Art Of French Cooking" is actually about teaching the reader how to form good habits and become a more successful person. She has a tough nut to crack with me. Good Luck Julia!

Facts:
Day 12 of 100 (I may have to do the full 365 days in order to learn what Julia is teaching me)

Pounds Lost: Ugh! 3 (I just keep battling back and forth with 4lbs)
Pounds Gained: 1 (... and I need to lose 20)
Happiness Level: 20% (I blew it today)
Missing My Kids 100% (no shopping will ever fill the void. I should stick to cooking)
Cooking Enjoyment: 10% (Do Not Rush Julia!!!)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (This would be a comfort burger)
Meal Presentation: 100% (For a burger it looked mighty beautiful)

0 comments: