BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 11: Above and Beyond Dessert




Menu:

Greek Salad ME

Hard European Bread w/Tzatziki ME

Filets de Poisson Bercy aux Champignons JC
(Fish Filets Poached in White Wine w/mushrooms)

Gratin de Pommes de Terre Provencal JC
(Scalloped Potatoes w/Onions, Tomatoes, Anchovies, Herbs and Garlic)

Sauteed Asparagus ME

Galettes Sabl'ees JC
(Sugar Cookies)

After exerting myself yesterday with dueling Julia recipes I decided that today I would take a break. Most of her recipes usually serves six. So every evening there is always some left. I started looking through the Julia Child cookbook this morning and decided I would make sugar cookies. It was an easy recipe that we could have for the next several days. The more I perused the book the more I realized I really wasn't that overwhelmed and that I could try just one more recipe. A fish filet in wine sauce sounds easy enough...doesn't it?

I made the cookie dough earlier in the day since it has to refrigerate for several hours. As soon as Michael called (on his hands free cell) and said he was on his way home I started the fish sauce. The sauce was made with wine, butter, heavy cream and flour and then I added in the mushrooms and minced shallots that I had sauteed. I then poached the fish filets which I had never done before. I just knew they were going to turn out dry and flaky and I bought catfish steaks of all things. But I kept on with it. After the fish seemed poached I placed it on a broiler pan and poured the heavy cream wine sauce over it and then added shredded swiss cheese and lemon juice with seasonings. I broiled this for about 3 minutes.

I had a bit of tzatziki and plenty of salad ingredients left for another salad like we had on Sunday with our Greek meal. There was still some of the scalloped potatoes from yesterday left. I also had some fresh asparagus in the refrigerator that needed to be used soon. While the fish was poaching I sauteed the asparagus and seasoned it and made up salads and prepped our bread plates. When Michael walked in he poured us a glass of red wine while I was getting pictures of everything and then we sat down to eat.

You would have never guessed that was catfish. I asked Michael what kind of fish he thought he was eating and he said swordfish. It was wonderful. It tasted like the "catch of the day" at a fine seafood restaurant. We kept looking at each other and widening our eyes with each mouthful. We savoured every bite saying wow, and that is so good and I can't believe this is catfish steaks. We were once again impressed with "The Julia".

The sugar cookie dough is made and still chilling in the fridge waiting for the house to cool when the sun goes down. I opened all the windows even though it is warmer today than it has been for most of the summer. Once a good breeze gets going through the house I will preheat the oven. I'm anxious to roll out the dough with my new glass rolling pin that I bought a few months back. It has a cork at one end and you fill it with very cold water and as you are rolling chilled dough it keeps it from getting too warm and soft. Even though I planned just a dessert for today it just goes to show you that if you are willing to go above and beyond with her recipes, Julia will get you through yet another arduous meal. After we indulge ourselves I will be sure to let you know how the cookies turned out.

Facts:
Day11 of 100 (Michael would love for me to do 365 but I just can't)

Pounds Lost: 3 in 11 days (It was 4 lbs. Guess I better exercise this evening)
Pounds Gained: 1 in total
Happiness Level: 70%
Missing My Kids: 100% ( I chatted with Rebecca last night. She has no clue she is still my baby)
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (I paced myself today. Much smarter.)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (We need some new yummy noises we make so many)
Meal Presentation: 90% (A creamed wine sauce dripping over anything looks delectable)

0 comments: