BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Day 8: Julia Child Greek Style

Menu:
Greek Salad ME
Crusty European Bread (Schnucks Grocery Store)
Tzatziki ME
Fried Cheese ME
Gyros w/Greek Seasoned Pork Chops ME
Au Gratin Potatoes w/Polska Kielbasa JC
Raspberry/Strawberry Lemonade Me & JC
Pear Custard in a Sugar Cookie Pie Crust (The Pear Tart) JC

I spent most of the day in the kitchen preparing this meal. I served it in courses because the fried cheese has to be fried when ready to serve. The salad was a big hit. I've been making this salad for several years now and it is the best way to compliment a Greek meal. Michael and I were stationed in Crete, Greece so the foods I learned to cook have a more country flair rather than the more traditional Greek foods in the mainlands.

Our friends were very impressed with the meal. They absolutely loved the tzatziki because most that you buy is very watery due to the cucumbers not being properly drained. The bread was an European type and I sliced it thick to make it great for dipping. Once we ate the salad, bread and dip I got the olive oil heated and fried the cheese. This has to be done at a certain temperature for just the right amount of time. Otherwise you end up with a big melted cheese mess in the oil. Once it was finished I did the lemon and salt and served them. This was a big hit. I haven't met anyone that doesn't appreciate fried cheese.

We were now ready for the main dish. I got the gyros made with the pork, more tzatziki and saut'eed onions and tomatoes. The Julia Child potatoes and kielbasa were our side dish. Julia yet again got me through another delicious recipe. I've never had au gratin potatoes like that before...I still love the ones you make mom with the Velveeta. But you got stiff competition with this swiss cheese and heavy whipping cream version.

The lemonade is the most refreshing summer drink. I did make an raspberry syrup from the Julia Child cookbook to add to the lemonade. It gave it a nice deep reddish pink color. We enjoyed our friends baby for a while. She is just a pleasure to be around. A very sweet little girl. Then we had some honey wine and Schlafly beer. Then came the dessert. All four of us could not contain ourselves. It was a true European type dessert.

And so while I didn't get a full menu of Julia in today, I think she would completely understand. She'd maybe even admire my efforts of taking on another European cuisine that is just as time consuming and requires a lot of TLC to complete. Yep, I think today Julia would be proud! I'm off to get some rest now.

Too busy for pics. Didn't even think about the camera today.

Facts:
Day 8 of 100 (So not entertaining the thought of 365 days of this)

Pounds Lost: Still 4 lbs.
Pounds Gained: 0
Happiness Level: 100% (was great visiting with friends...that always makes me happy)
Missing My Kids: 100% (especially after seeing sweet little Kaveri)
Cooking Enjoyment: 100% (I love making Greek food a lot of work though but fun)
Eating Enjoymentt: 100% (It was excellent)
Meal Presentation: 100%

0 comments: