BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 10: The Julia Smack Down







Menu:

Tournedos Saut'es Aux Champignons JC
(Filet Steaks w/Mushroom and Medeira Sauce)

Gratin de Pommes de Terre Provencal JC
(Scalloped Potatoes w/onions, Tomoatoes, Anchovies, Herbs and Garlic

Green Beans ME

Toast w/currant jelly JC

Julia recommends in her cookbook that you NOT cook more than one of her recipes at a time. Well that is for good reason it turns out. I tried to do the Potatoes and Ribeye all at the same time so they would finish up and be ready to serve at dinnertime. It is very important to focus on one of her dishes at at time. I did have to keep going back and checking the recipes and I did get quite flustered trying to keep up with everything saut'eei-ing and searing and rapidly boiling and baking. I felt like I was in fast forward motion. Julia was definitely giving me a smackdown when Michael walked in home from work.

However, the ribeye was out of this world. Michael and I both just kept saying wow while we were eating. the wine sauce simmered with small portabella mushrooms were poured over the steak making the flavor incredible. I have never seared a steak before and done the Julia Child way is perfection. The potatoes were of a very Mediterranean flavor. I enjoyed them but then I love thyme and oregano.

The toast was also part of the steak recipe. The recipe called for it to be served with the filet. I added the currant jelly that was leftover from the tart I had made. The green beans were saut'eed in bacon grease and then I added seasonings. It actually went well with the dinner. We drank port wine as we ate our dinner and that helped to ease the "Julia Smackdown" I got today. Lesson learned...when Julia says not to do something then don't do it.

Facts
Day 10 of 100 (365 Days???? Are you kidding me!)

Pounds Lost: 4 lbs (got those two lbs. off from exercising and not eating much until dinner today)
Pounds Gained: 0 (As long as I don't gain and keep gaining I'll keep adding the butter)
Happiness Level: 100% (I completed two Julia recipes...HELLO!!! Who does that?)
Missing My Kids: 50% (I bought some things for Joey today so it made me happy)
Cooking Enjoyment: 10% (She kicked my arsre today)
Eating Enjoyment: 100% (It was Divine)
Meal Presentation: 50% (I thought it looked pretty fancy. Keep in mind we are real anxious to eat at picture time.)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great!