BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Day 1: Downton Abbey Recipes


I would like to thank my dear friend Becky for sending me this wonderful cookbook. I just started watching Downton Abbey a few days ago. She is an ardent fan and has been watching the show as it airs. It's hard for me to sit and watch television. It has to be a really good movie, show or documentary for me take the time to watch it. After several seasons, I'm just now jumping on board with Downton Abbey. Just after three episodes, I fell in love with the characters and the storyline. I gushed a bit on Facebook about it. I had no idea Becky was sending me the cookbook. But, I think she knew that I would dive into this cookbook and turn those words into delicious meals. Here is my first attempt...

Day 1: Daisy's Mustard Salmon With Lentils served with Mrs. Patmore's Easy Roasted Parsnips


I started making my first Downton Abbey Cookbook meal with my husband by my side. The recipes looked easy enough. I found myself substituting too many ingredients and decided to start over. 


So, with my husband heading to the grocery store to re-purchase chives, Dijon mustard, parsley and a few other ingredients, I started chopping carrots again and getting my base going for the lentils.


As soon as he walked in the door with the groceries, I kindly removed him from the kitchen so I could start my second round of making this meal. He happily obliged and did man things outside.

I've never made lentils before or eaten them to my knowledge. I had a bag in the pantry that I had bought a few weeks prior to cooking this meal. We've been on a health kick around here lately. I bought things like lentils, whole beets, Mangoes, whole sweet potatoes and unusual greens. I didn't know what to do with them once I got them home. The veggies I could eventually juice, but the lentils, what do you do with lentils? Well, actually the lentils are quite simple to make. This recipes calls for them to be  cooked in water, vegetable stock, carrots and herbs.


The parsnips were absolutely amazing! I've never had them before. I'm so glad they didn't end up in the juicer. These were really good. If you ever want to try parsnips the Downton Abbey recipe is the way to go. They are easy to make and taste like something you've never eaten before.


I've made salmon a lot over the past several years. My husband and I try to eat it about once a week. I seared it effortlessly out of routine. If you are searing salmon for the first time, rub olive oil over the filet really well or it will stick to your pan and make a terrible mess of your finished salmon presentation and your pan. I never sear in a nonstick pan. I rarely use nonstick pans for anything. A good heavy double clad skillet or cast iron skillet is best for searing salmon, steaks and such. Cooking with the Julia Child cookbook helped me become comfortable with "real" cookware.


While I'm no Beryl Patmore, I do like to think that I know my way around my own kitchen, even it does take me a few tries to get it right. However...

...the second try was a success! The mustard sauce allowed the salmon and the lentils to burst with flavor with every bite. We were kind of reluctant to eat the parsnips at first. But, we both took a bite and gladly ate the rest. This meal was so full of flavor. The Julia Child recipes were exquisite in presentation and flavor. But this Downton Abbey recipe was like nothing we had ever eaten before. It was very intense and delicious. 

Now on to today's recipes. Hm, what should I make?


0 comments: