BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Day 4: Downton Abbey Recipes

Velvety Cream of Mushroom Soup
This recipe was very simple to make. The hardest part was getting the roux at the precise thickness so that the soup would be thick and creamy and yes, velvety.


I got the mushrooms all chopped and minced right along with the shallots. I'm about halfway into the chopping and mincing in this photo.


I've got the broth heating up so that I can add the roux. Once the two are mixed we now have what is called "velout'e". 


The mushrooms and shallots have been pureed and will be added to the velout'e. 


And this is the finished soup. It makes enough for four servings. It's the best mushroom soup I've ever eaten. The recipe called for saffron but I substituted a different spice. Saffron is a bit pricey and I wasn't sure that I'd ever use it again. Paprika didn't seem to ruin the flavor. However, while I've never had saffron to my knowledge, it does have a distinct flavor. Most chefs recommend that you do not substitute. It's best to use the real thing when it comes to saffron. Serve this soup with a good hearty toasted bread. It makes for a wonderful meal.


0 comments: